These weather fluency passages are designed to give your students practice with developing fluency.
You can create your own weather fluency passages with these cards.
This is another free resource for teachers and homeschool families from www.freewordwork.com.
Working on Fluency
Helping children develop fluency can be an important part of becoming a better reader.
Fluency helps build comprehension and speed.
Also, when a reader is fluent, they are more likely to be able to determine which words are unfamiliar and use context clues to determine meaning.
Finally, fluency helps children build their confidence as a reader.
I like to print my sentences on bright colored cardstock. I then laminate and cut apart the sentences.
You will find the following weather fluency passages in this download:
- When the sun is shining, it is called sunny weather. We wear sunglasses to protect our eyes from the bright sun. Sometimes we can feel hot and sweaty when it is very sunny outside.
- Rain is water that falls from the sky. We wear raincoats and boots to stay dry when it rains. Rain is important for plants to grow and for animals to drink.
- Snow is like frozen rain that falls from the sky. It is fun to play in the snow and make snowmen. We wear warm jackets, hats, and gloves when it snows.
- Wind is the movement of air around us. We can feel the wind blowing on our face and see it moving the leaves on trees. Wind can make kites and flags fly.
- Lightning is a bright flash of light in the sky. It happens during a thunderstorm. We stay inside and away from windows when we see lightning to stay safe.
- The sun is shining bright in the sky today! It’s warm outside and there are no clouds to be seen. It’s a perfect day to play outside with friends or have a picnic in the park.
- It’s raining today! The sky is gray and the air feels damp. Make sure to bring an umbrella if you’re heading outside. It’s also a great day to snuggle up with a good book or watch a movie.
- The wind is blowing really hard outside today. It’s making the trees sway back and forth and the leaves rustle. It might be hard to ride your bike or fly a kite, but it’s a great day for a windmill craft project.
- It’s really cold outside today! Make sure to wear a warm coat, gloves, and a hat if you’re going out. It’s a perfect day to build a snowman or go sledding if there’s snow on the ground.
- The weather forecast is predicting a thunderstorm later today. If you hear thunder or see lightning, make sure to stay inside and away from windows. It’s a great day to play board games or do an indoor craft.
- It’s a foggy morning today. The air feels heavy and it’s hard to see very far. Make sure to be extra careful if you’re driving, walking, or riding your bike outside.
- It’s a beautiful fall day today. The leaves are changing colors and falling from the trees. It’s a great day to go for a nature walk and collect some leaves for an autumn craft.
- It’s a really hot and humid day today. Make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated if you’re going to be outside. It’s a great day to cool off in the pool or have a water balloon fight with friends.
- It’s a frosty morning today. There’s a thin layer of ice on the grass and the ground. Be careful if you’re walking or running outside, as it can be slippery. It’s a great day to have a hot cocoa and snuggle up under a blanket.
- It’s a cloudy day today. It’s not too hot or too cold, but there’s no sunshine to be seen. It’s a great day to do some indoor activities, like reading a book, playing a board game, or doing an art project.
You can download these fluency passages by clicking on the blue pencil below:
Thank you for visiting freewordwork.com! All of the resources provided are free for classroom and home use. Resources may not be sold or modified and sold. Please send me a message if you have any questions.